Friday, September 10, 2010
Sometimes only a potato can satisfy. Here's a comfort dish that you can't go wrong with!
Cilantro Potato Soup
1 med onion
1 TB butter
4 Large potatoes, (I leave them unpeeled) cube 3/4-inch
2 1/2 quarts water
1/2 cup cilantro
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
3 TB olive oil
3 TB flour
2 TB parsley (fresh or dried)
1. In a large pot, saute onion in butter till translucent
2. Add Potatoes, water, cilantro, salt, pepper, paprika, and tomato sauce; let boil
3. Reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender, stir occassionally
4. In a small skillet, combine oil and flour until smooth. Cook over med heat until mixture is golden brown, stirring constantly. Be Careful- It will burn easy!
5. Stir mixture into hot soup. Add parsley. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes until soup thickens!
White potatoes are hugely popular but usually in the form of french fries! French fries should be kept as a rare treat. In a soup or baked with healthy toppings, the potato can be a nutritious part of anyone's diet.
The white potato contains valuable nutrients, such as iron and potassium. It is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese.