Just getting home from work and starving? Keep these healthy ingredients on hand and you can make this nutritious recipe any time. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can substitute with different kinds of oil, beans and spices. If you see an ingredient you don't have, try leaving it out or replacing it with your favorite spices! This recipe is very versatile. I hope you enjoy it!
Spicy Black Bean Burgers
5 TB sunflower oil
1 LG onion, diced
1 TB garlic, minced
1 TB chopped basil
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 TB jarred jalapeno, chopped
2 cups, black beans, cooked, drained and mashed
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 TB Jalapeno pepper juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 TB fresh parsley, minced
whole wheat flour
1. Heat 10 inch skillet, with 1 TB sunflower oil. When hot, add onions, garlic, chopped basil and turmeric. Stir fry until onions are translucent and everything is mixed well.
2. Place beans in a large bowl. Mash them with a masher or place in a blender and puree the beans. Scrape into a bowl.
3. Add the onion mixture to beans.
4. Add bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, parsley and jalapeno juice. Mix well.
5. Heat 4 TB sunflower oil in 10 inch skillet. Place whole wheat flour on a plate.
6. Scoop bean mixture and form patties. Coat each side with whole wheat flour. Place in hot skillet. Cook on both sides until brown.
7. Place on bread and add your tomatoes, lettuce and sauce.
I mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 Tb lime juice for a sauce. It is delicious with the spice in the black bean burgers.
Black beans are one of the healthiest beans you can eat. They are only 114 calories per half cup with 64% folate, 18% Iron, and 17% magnesium. Black beans help control hunger because they digest slowly and suppress appetite for hours.
Eat with tomatoes, the vitamin C helps to boost the iron absorption!
Turmeric is healing and so good for you! Buy your turmeric in an Indian or Mexican grocery store. They sell it in huge bags at 1/4 the price of chain grocery stores. I try to buy all my spices at these great stores. Not to mention, there are so many other flavors to explore, right in your own neighborhood!
Good Eating leads to Good Health!